Hi! Thanks for visiting. Make yourself at home, look around... but my new digs are way swankier. Check it out here: Makeup Detox.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Pleasure Principle

This blog is about natural beauty and avoiding toxic ingredients in cosmetics and beauty products. But it's also about pleasure. Pleasure can read as joy, fun, frivolity, playfulness... some may see it as inconsequential but I see it as a founding principle of life.

Many people (especially in the U.S.) associate pleasure with guilt. The illicit donut, the Sunday afternoon lazing on the couch. And it's true in some cases (the donut), that pleasure can be bad for us and even dangerous.

So where's the happy medium; is there one? I believe we can not only enjoy healthy, non-toxic ingredients in our food and personal care products, but we can enjoy them more! They can be more delicious, more decadent and more indulgent.

Why? For three reasons:
1) Higher Quality Feels Better
We may be accustomed to the brash sugar and fat in a conventional donut, or the sleek shine of a silicone lip gloss. But higher quality, more refined ingredients invite a more developed experience. Raw cacao truffles? Divine. Lipstick with natural oils and waxes? So creamy and nourishing. Your body and mind know the difference between fake luxe and real luxury.

2) The Challenge
Sure you can go buy a mainstream product- it's much easier. But easy is for sissies. The feeling of accomplishment in baking your first gluten-free bread or discovering your favorite natural eye shadow beats 'easy' any day. Because you worked for it!

3) No Guilt
Nothing curbs the enjoyment like the foreboding feeling of guilt! You can't really enjoy it because you know it's not good for you. With healthy decadence, you know it's good for you and the pleasure gets multiplied by this fact.

What inspired this post? I was just blissfully savoring some homemade ginger ice cream (vegan/sugar-free of course) and thinking about how I enjoy decadence in my day-to-day life, all without compromising my health or my values. I indulge every day and yet I eat a gluten-free, mostly vegan, plant-based diet. I only use personal care products that are free of toxic ingredients and yet I've never been more creative at applying my makeup. Except for the occasional fleeting yearning for pizza, I feel totally satisfied and never restricted.

Here are some awesome recipes to help you feel the same way:

Chocolate Covered Katie's Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Spunky Coconut's Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Elana's Pantry's Banana Walnut Muffins

These are all dairy-free, low/no sugar, gluten-free and absolutely decadent. I highly recommend subscribing to all three websites. You will salivate at the pictures and be amazed by the innocence of the ingredients.

Now I want to hear from you in the comments: What's your healthy indulgence? 

Be good, stay fabulous,
Michele

2 comments:

  1. My healthy indulgence: a huge bowl of banana-chocolate oats in the morning! Or my SUPER DELICIOUS sugar free coconut chocolate! I eat healthily and I love it! My food is absolutely delicious and you can taste the love.

    BTW: just found your blog & I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have similar tastes, I have some homemade raw coconut chocolate in my fridge right now! Thanks so much for checking out my blog - I'm working on a new name, design, etc so that's why I haven't posted for a while.

      Delete