Hi! Thanks for visiting. Make yourself at home, look around... but my new digs are way swankier. Check it out here: Makeup Detox.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Dangers of Bee Pollen

 As some of you know, I've been on quite the health kick the past six months. I've read many books, blogs and articles. I've made changes in my diet. After reading several posts where people tout bee pollen as a superfood, I decided to try this natural supplement.

When I got it home I took a heaping teaspoon- yum! It was sweet. I started preparing dinner and noticed a sore throat come on suddenly. What? Could I be getting sick so quickly? Then my throat started to swell and I had trouble swallowing. I panicked and looked online for 'bee pollen' and 'allergy'. A site said some people react to it and to start with only a few granules at a time. Um, oops? I'd never heard that before. I shakily started towards my car to drive to a nearby medical clinic while I called my mom. She said, 'don't drive: call 911'. So I did.

Soon after the medics arrived the symptoms started subsiding and it was clear I'd be okay. I'd frantically taken an anti-histamine as soon as I realized what was happening and it seemed to be working. I drove nearby to my boyfriend's work so I wouldn't be alone. After that it took about five hours before the symptoms went away completely. Wow! A little too much excitement if you ask me.

The weird thing is, I don't have any allergies; I eat honey, I've eaten royal jelly, I've gotten bee stings when I was younger... this came out of nowhere! I barely even have seasonal allergies. 

Please share this information with anyone you know who is health-minded and may take this supplement. Maybe this reaction is rare, but if it can happen to me it can happen to others. Please use caution.

No comments: