Hi! Thanks for visiting. Make yourself at home, look around... but my new digs are way swankier. Check it out here: Makeup Detox.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Smoothie Recipes


Hi Guys! Everyone loves smoothies and if you're health-minded you probably partake in these treats on a regular basis. I was just blending one of my favorite concoctions and I started wondering what recipes other people like to use? Here are a few of my favorites:

Kimberly Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie
Since reading her book I have a variation of this smoothie first thing every morning and it's great. My energy is more stable and the fiber keeps me from getting those afternoon hunger pangs that lead me to more junky snacks.
*For a regular-sized blender I halve the recipe, although I still use 2 cups of water. I also add fresh mint which I find has a nice taste.

Yummy Monkey Smoothie
This is a great treat, and it's packed with proteins and superfoods:
  • 1 banana (ideally frozen)
  • 1 tsp hemp protein powder
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp ground flax seeds
  • 1 tsp cacao powder
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • Several dashes of cinnamon
  • 1-2 ice cubes
  • Unsweetened almond or hemp milk (about 1 cup-just enough to cover the bananas and ice cubes)
  • 1-3 drops of stevia (optional)
And blend, blend, blend! Keep in mind the cacao does have a bit of caffeine in it; I've never had a problem having it before bed but if you're struggling with insomnia this may be better earlier in the day.

Pretty in Pink Smoothie
This is so refreshing and unbelievably delish! It reminds me of those desserts at Indian restaurants, minus the sugar and cream. If you put enough watermelon and ice you can get a slushy, sorbet consistency. Plus, it's pink!
  • Frozen watermelon chunks (about 1 cup)
  • Unsweetened coconut milk (about 1/2 cup)
  • Unsweetened coconut water (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1-3 drops of Rose water (start with 1 drop, this is quite strong and can overpower)
  • Several dashes of cardamom
  • Several fresh mint leaves
  • 1-2 ice cubes
  • 1-3 drops of stevia (optional)
And blend, blend, blend! I like to mix the coconut water and coconut milk, but you can play with the proportions depending on if you want something creamier or more light and refreshing.


Which fun and healthy smoothie recipes do you go back to again and again? Share below, on twitter @michelesquest or by email: michelesquest@gmail.com

Be good and stay fabulous,
M

No comments: