Hi! Thanks for visiting. Make yourself at home, look around... but my new digs are way swankier. Check it out here: Makeup Detox.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday Steal! Elf All Over Color Stick

Every Saturday I post a natural beauty product I've discovered that costs under 10$! Yes it's possible to go natural while on a budget.

Color sticks are all the rage in the natural world, with companies like Revolution Organics, Jane Iredale, Ilia and Vapour Organics all carrying one version or another. I haven't tried any of these because most of them are somewhat expensive (I'm not saying they're not worth it, but they are somewhat pricey).

Then I discovered this unassuming color stick that retails for... wait for it... one dollar. Yes, that's right. I don't know how they make any money off this but that's not my problem. It's from a company called E.l.f., or Eyes Lips Face. I would advise against using most of their products because they contain unsafe ingredients, however they do carry a couple of gems. This little number garners a score of 2 (low hazard) on Skin Deep. On top of that, the ingredients listed on Skin Deep include two parabens (these are no-no's), however E.l.f. must have updated their ingredients because those listed on their site don't include parabens. Here is the ingredient list from their site (in order), with their corresponding Skin Deep scores:



Aqua(Water) 0
Isopropyl Myristate 0-1
Octyl Isopalmitate No Data
Ceresin Wax 1
Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina) 1
Sorbitol 0
Mica 2
Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 1-3 (depends on usage)
Iron Oxides (CI 77491 , CI 77492 , CI 77499) 2
Red No.6 Lake (CI 15850) 1

It does have a dye as the last ingredient however it's listed as 'low-hazard' on Skin Deep, so this depends on your comfort level. I did a little fishing on Octyl Isopalmitate which was listed as having 'no data'. In the book A Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients, Ruth Winter describes it as: an ester of palmitic acid (see), it is used as a skin-conditioning ingredient in body and hand products, eye shadows, skin care products, blushers and fragrances. Considering this book has been recommended by several sources, including the No More Dirty Looks gals, I trust it. Palmitic Acid scores a 1 on Skin Deep.
L to R: Pink Lemonade, Persimmon, Golden Peach
L to R: Pink Lemonade, Persimmon, Golden Peach
I often use these for highlights as they have some shimmer to them- I'll rub a bit on top of my cheekbones for an extra glow. Try 'em out and let me know what you think? Psst: if you google 'elf coupon' there are many coupons for this site.

*Please note - I am just a regular consumer and in no way affiliated to this product.

No comments: