If you're not a millionaire, you're probably like the rest of us - on a budget and paying attention to the bottom line. But you're also concerned about the safety of your beauty products, right? Well it can be an overwhelming and very expensive process to detox your medicine cabinet and cosmetics drawer. Check out these tips to go green without breaking the bank:
- Try samples: Many of the natural makeup lines are online- this poses a specific problem when buying makeup, especially for things like foundation that has to match perfectly. The better companies will offer samples. You will have to make an initial investment but it's better than trying to gauge the colors and textures from online pictures. You'll have to pay shipping. Get used to it (sorry).
- Follow companies and beauty sites on Twitter, Facebook or through email lists: Companies often offer sales or promos this way - it's good to take advantage of these when you can.
- Be patient: I can honestly say that I haven't abided by this concept. You don't need to clean out all your products at once; it can happen over time. Start first with the products you use the most and have the most exposure to; this usually means your body lotion. For cosmetics I personally started with mascara and lipstick.
- Look for smaller companies: Their websites may not be as slick or as user-friendly, but smaller companies often provide the same quality of product at a more affordable rate.
- Read reviews: Look up a brand name and 'reviews' online. Read the natural beauty blogs; they are super helpful and often show videos or swatches of the products. This can save you from wasting money on something you won't end up liking.
- Look into discount sites: You will have to check the brands and read the ingredients, but this can be a great way to get your favorite brands at a discounted price:
- Beauty.com- Dr. Hauschka, Jane Iredale, Juice Beauty, Lavanila, W3LL People.
- LuckyVitamin.com - Acure Organics, Alba Botanica, Aubrey Organics, Badger, Burt's Bees, Dr. Bronners, Eco Tools, Ecco Bella, Honeybee Gardens, Jason Natural, John Masters Organics, Pangea Organics, Peacekeeper Cause-Metrics, Weleda and more.
- Soap.com - 100% Pure, Alaffia, Alba Botanica, Alima Pure (love their eyeshadows), Aubrey Organics, Avalon Organics, Badger, Burt's Bees, Dr. Bronner, Dr. Hauschka, Ecco Bella, Eco Tools, Jason Natural, Juice Beauty, Lavera, NVey Eco, Pangea Organics, Weleda,
- Vitacost.com - Aubrey Organics, Avalon Organics, Desert Essence, Dr. Bronners, Ecco Bella, Honeybee Gardens (love their lipsticks and deodorant powder), Jason Natural, Pangea Organics, Weleda and more.
Be good and stay fabulous,