Hi! Thanks for visiting. Make yourself at home, look around... but my new digs are way swankier. Check it out here: Makeup Detox.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

"Simple" Skincare? Not Exactly...


There's a new skincare line out called Simple. Their claims? Direct from their website:
  • UK's #1 skincare. 
  • Simple says... settle for only our purest possible ingredients. 
  • Our Simple skincare range has no dyes, artificial perfumes, or harsh irritants that can upset your skin.  Instead, just our purest possible skin loving ingredients with added vitamins, for naturally healthy-looking skin.  
  • All Simple products are [...] dermatologist tested, noncomedogenic, and hypoallergenic. 
  • We take pride in using only the ingredients that your skin needs - and nothing that it doesn’t.   
Sounds great, right? Not really. Check this list of ingredients (and the corresponding score from Skin Deep) from several of their products:

Sodium Laureth Sulfate (3)
Cocamidopropyl Betaine (5)  
PEG-55  (4-6)
Propylene Glycol (3)
Tocopheryl Acetate (4)
Laureth-10 (3) 
PEG-7 (4-6)
Mineral Oil (3) 
Tocopheryl Acetate (4)
Homosalate (4)
Steareth-21, Steareth-2 (3-6)
Triethanolamine (5)  
Methylisothiazolinone (6)  
Phenoxyethanol (3-4)
Methylparaben (5) 

Now 'greenwashing' or promoting something as being 'natural' when it's not isn't new. But they take it to the next level - they provide their ingredient list as links, and if you click on each ingredient they give their definition  in their 'search glossary'. For example, Methylparaben is described as: Ingredient that helps to inhibit the development of micro-organisms. PEG-7 is described as: Ingredient that supports the formation and stabilization of an emulsion. The heading to their 'search glossary' is as follows: Confused about anything in our ingredients list? Well, it will be nothing but goodness, but if you want to find out more, read on.


Aaaargh! This really bugs me. It's misleading, deceptive, dangerous, and TOTALLY ANNOYING! The worst part is that many people will fall for this hoax. Grrr.


4 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I am talking about.
    It doesn't mean anything at all what the label says, we have to check the ingredients all the time, because companies like to misleading us.

    But people often don't read the ingredients on a product, they trust the companies and this is what they are taking advantage of.
    My motto: Ingredients talk.

    Thank you for this great post!
    (Bebeautysmart. com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that motto! Sorry for the mucho delayed response on this. Yes even with 'natural' products you have to read the ingredients. I've learned this the hard way, taking home products because I heard they were good, then realizing I didn't want that stuff on my skin. It takes getting used to but now I read ingredients on beauty products just as much (if not more) than I do on food! Have a good one, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. My skin absolutely hated Simple. I was recommended it by a friend because I have very sensitive skin and thought the "Simple" ingredients in it might calm my skin but it made my skin so much worse. Very dry, tight and irritated - it was only then when I looked at the so-called "natural ingredients" that I realised why my skin hated it so much. I have a Chemistry degree so if something sounds like something I would use in the lab - I avoid it and my skin's never looked better! x

      http://cosmetic-queen-bee.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
    3. Argh, I hate deceptive marketing! Well I'm glad you got smart to their tricks and now your skin is feeling better.

      Delete